Re: gdb.mi/mi-cli.exp failures

On Wed, Apr 02, 2003 at 09:44:07AM -0800, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> Daniel Jacobowitz <drow at mvista dot com> writes:
>
> > Well, do you have another suggestion for how to approach this?  We're
> > not actually linking; but I need to get the symbols from the input file
> > into a symbol table with forged offsets in order to apply relocations
> > against them.
>
> Well, I don't really know the context.  If you're not linking, then it
> seems to me that you'll be better off avoiding the linking calls.  The
> add_symbols() call is the first phase of a link, and is expected to be
> followed by the second phase of a link; despite the name
> add_symbols(), it doesn't just add symbols to a hash table.
>
> If you really just want to put the symbols into a hash table, can you
> just get the symbol table generically and add them to a hash table
> yourself?

IIRC, then we may get a different kind of hash table than the
platform's relocation application functions expect.  It's been a little
while though.

The context is in bfd/simple.c if you want to look at it.  The
intention is to use this code for both gdb and objdump (they do use it
now, to be more accurate) to relocate the contents of debug sections.
This is necessary for the general cases of debugging shared objects and
unlinked object modules.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz