Re: Problems with gdb on Solaris 8

Hi,

On Fri, 2003-04-11 at 07:23, msnyder at redhat dot com wrote:
> David Frager wrote:
> >
> > I have been experiencing problems with debugging programs on Solaris 8.
> >
> > The programs are compiled using g++ 3.2, and I am attempting to debug running gdb 5.3
> > Both my modules and the ACE library used by my modules are compiled with optimzation turned off and debug turned on.  Additionally, the module is not striped.
>
> David, was the module built as a 64-bit app, or 32?
> And likewise, how was gdb  built?
>
> On Solaris, gdb can only debug 64-bit apps if it is itself one.
>

> > I have attempted to set other breakpoints, but I get the same results.

I'm having some problems with gdb 5.2.1 on Solaris when I compile my
applications with gcc 3.2. The symptoms are not the same as David's
ones, but I think this may be related. Here's a more precise situation :

gcc 3.2 with -g option => I can debug with gdb 5.0 without problem, but
                          gdb5.2 is unusable (breakpoints put at the
                          wrong place for the most)

gcc 3.2 with -gdwarf-2 => I can debug with gdb 5.2 !

Unfortunately, I depend on libs which are compiled with -g, so I'm stuck
debugging with gdb 5.0... Is this a known issue ? Is there any solution
?

PS : We build only 32-bits libs/binaries and our GDBs are 32bits too.

Regards,

--
Frédéric RISS <frederic dot riss at st dot com>
STMicroelectronics - DAIS