Setting watchpoints

Platform information:
OS: Linux
Kernel: 2.4.19
gcc/g++: 3.2.2
gdb: 5.3
threads: 1 -- single threaded application

How do I set a watch point so that the debugger halts when memory at a
specific address is changed? There is no easy to define variable that I
can latch onto, but I do know its address. When I set a watch point to
this address -- 'watch 0x8559ff4' or 'watch *0x8559ff4' -- gdb just
sails by this memory being changed. If I set a conditional break point
just prior to the segmentation fault I can see the change and so can gdb
it just does not sense it with the watch. So, what am I doing wrong and
how do I get gdb to monitor a memory location and halt when it changes?
I have already searched the web (google) and did not find any solutions
there.

--
Al Niessner <Al dot Niessner at jpl dot nasa dot gov>
Jet Propulsion Laboratory

All opinions stated above are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of JPL or NASA.

 ----
 ----