Re: charset.c problem with non-en_US locales

> From: Elena Zannoni <ezannoni at redhat dot com>
> Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 16:04:03 -0400
>
> When the locale is set to Turkish (or any other non-Latin), the
> tolower/toupper functions don't work as they would in English.  The
> lowercase version of 'I' is not 'i', for instance but some other
> chracter ('i' w/o the dot).

Right, that's one peculiarity of the Turkish language.

> So, I think the whole case-insensitive approach for the names of the
> charsets and the translation tables should probably be removed.

I'm not sure.

> What was the reason behind it? Was it that the user could type
> upper/lower case charset names at the command line?

Yes, that's the reason.

> This patch works, but I am not confident that this it's enough.

How about having our own clang_tolower function, which modifies only
7-bit ASCII characters in its argument?  Wouldn't this be a better
solution than requesting the user to type in a certain letter-case?