Andrew Cagney writes:
 > config/<cpu>/*.{mt,mh,h} are all
 > being deleted, so adding files to that directory would make for
 > confusion.

I dunno about confusion.
The consistency with gcc and gas is nice.
(while gas doesn't have config/<cpu>, neither did gcc until way back when,
not that I'm suggesting gas should have config/<cpu>, just that
both have config/<something> for target files).

If one is going to try to reduce the number of files in the top level dir,
to me having all the target specific files in config/<cpu>
seems reasonable (and more preferable than having them littered about
in the top level directory and various subdirs).