problems trying to install insight

I'm trying to install insight by hand.  So I kept on running it and,
whenever I got an error message about not being able to find a certain
file, I copied it to one of the suggested locations.  I think I did
this for tcl, libgui, tk, itcl, and ik, but I may be missing
something.

Eventually, I got to a state where I didn't get any complaints, but
insight just exited without printing anything at all.  Running it
within GDB, I found that it was trying to print out the error message:

  Can't find a usable main.tcl in the following directories:
  /usr/local/share/insight1.0 /usr/local/lib/insight1.0
  /usr/lib/insight1.0 /usr/local/library /usr/library
  /usr/insight/library /insight/

and failing.

I'm not at all familiar with the relevant parts of GDB's code (or with
any of insight's code), else I'd try to fix it myself.  If somebody
thinks it's appropriate, I'll file a bug (under GDB or under insight?
I'm not sure who is losing the message).

Incidentally, if possible it would be nice if the error message for a
missing iwidgets were a bit more informative, too.

David Carlton
carlton@bactrian.org