Re: GDB 6

On Fri, May 09, 2003 at 12:58:08PM -0400, Andrew Cagney wrote:

The sole objective for GDB 6 was to have GDB multi-arch. Since Joel has now committed a change that multi-arch partial's the HP/PA, and all architectures can be built multi-arch partial, it can be argued that GDB has technically reached this goal(1).

Given this, I think the next release of GDB should be named ``GDB 6''.

In doing this, there is an oportunity to, identify as obsolete (but not actually delete) a few extra bits.. The following come to mind:

- non event loop platforms
- DWARF (a.k.a., DWARF 1)

People with systems that rely on said features can always download the GDB 5 series debuggers.

With regard to annotations, someone [me] still still has the documentation and testsuite to update (....). That, I think is the only ``must have'' thing for the next GDB release.

What exactly do you mean here?
Annotations Level 2 will stay in gdb for version 6.0?
This would truly be a great thing.

It won't have been deleted (but it would continue to be on notice).

Andrew