Re: problems trying to install insight

On Fri, 2003-05-09 at 13:10, David Carlton wrote:
> I'm trying to install insight by hand.  So I kept on running it and,
> whenever I got an error message about not being able to find a certain
> file, I copied it to one of the suggested locations.  I think I did
> this for tcl, libgui, tk, itcl, and ik, but I may be missing
> something.

Why not just use "make install-gdb"? (Just curious)

> Eventually, I got to a state where I didn't get any complaints, but
> insight just exited without printing anything at all.  Running it
> within GDB, I found that it was trying to print out the error message:
>
>   Can't find a usable main.tcl in the following directories:
>   /usr/local/share/insight1.0 /usr/local/lib/insight1.0
>   /usr/lib/insight1.0 /usr/local/library /usr/library
>   /usr/insight/library /insight/
>
> and failing.
>
> I'm not at all familiar with the relevant parts of GDB's code (or with
> any of insight's code), else I'd try to fix it myself.  If somebody
> thinks it's appropriate, I'll file a bug (under GDB or under insight?
> I'm not sure who is losing the message).

As I recall, this was a tough thing to solve. Maybe things have changed
now? I'll revisit.

> Incidentally, if possible it would be nice if the error message for a
> missing iwidgets were a bit more informative, too.

I'll double-check that. Let me guess: it just gives the standard tcl
error. Hmm. Maybe I should change all of the package requires to give a
less verbose tcl error message and a more human error message.

Thanks for peeking at it.
Keith