gdb/Insight 5.3 really slow when stepping

Hi....

I am using gdb/insight 5.3 on windows (cygwin). And it is *really* slow when stepping...

So I started out to detect where it is slow. Even on stupid lines eg. stepping
thru this block (snipped out of Insight)

- 2370 int	numLines = 0;
  2371 NSArray	*predefinedNames;
- 2372 BOOL	mustGenNames = NO;

On every step gdb/insight is doing (in my case) about 17800 (!) filesystem accesses.
I used FileMon from SysInternals. Obviously it checks presence of the source file
and a huge number of headers and other source files. Both system header and selfmade onces.

This makes stepping *really* slow. I encountered that it depends on the file you are
stepping thru in how slow it is.

Is this checking necessary all the time (on every step)? Wouldn't it be enough to scan
all these things just once when entering the file the first time? Can it be switched off?

Thanks for your help,

Roland