Re: alphafbsd_use_struct_convention

On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 06:45:04PM +0200, Mark Kettenis wrote:
> However, I do think that we do
> need alphafbsd_use_struct_convention.  In gcc/config/alpha/freebsd.h
> we have:
>
> /* Don't default to pcc-struct-return, we want to retain compatibility with
>    older FreeBSD releases AND pcc-struct-return may not be reentrant.  */
>
> #undef  DEFAULT_PCC_STRUCT_RETURN
> #define DEFAULT_PCC_STRUCT_RETURN 0
>
> which means that it doesn't use the same convention as the other alpha
> targets.

Hum.  I hadn't remembered that.  Nor had a remembered that that
overrode the RETURN_IN_MEMORY macro elsewhere.  But by experimentation
you are correct.

Of course, neither of the two justifications above are correct
for alpha-freebsd -- there *were* no older FreeBSD releases, this
was just copied from the x86 port; and the indirect struct return
mechanism is completely re-entrant.

Probably too late to do anything about this though.

r~