gdb and LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Hi,

I apologize in advance if this question does not
belong here or has been answered before.

I am having trouble getting gdb to pick up libraries
from locations specified in LD_LIBRARY_PATH (LLP). The

environment is: bash 2.05a, gdb 5.2.1, Linux PowerPC
2.4.18, gcc 3.2.1.

In this case, the same library is available on the
system in two different locations - the one in /lib is
stripped, the one in /tmp/jeff is unstripped. I would
like to examine a core file using the unstripped
library in /tmp/jeff. I changed .profile, and then
/etc/profile to prefix /tmp/jeff to LD_LIBRARY_PATH
but to no avail. ld.so and ldd  point to the library
in /tmp/jeff; when gdb itself is exec'd, it looks for
libraries in /tmp/jeff before /lib (as shown by
strace). But when gdb loads the executable and core
file, it always picks up the library from /lib. I ran
ldconfig to put /tmp/jeff ahead of /lib, still no
effect. Logging in and out doesn't do it either.

I used to be able to change LLP in .profile and point
to the new locations, but I can't anymore. What am I
doing wrong?

bash/gdb/Linux info pasted below.

bermuda:/tmp/jeff-3> gdb -v
GNU gdb 5.2.1
GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General
Public License, and you are
welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it
under certain conditions.
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB.  Type "show
warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "powerpc-hardhat-linux".
bermuda:/tmp/jeff-4> uname -a
Linux S0C17 2.4.18 #1 SMP Thu Jun 26 22:33:47 CDT 2003
ppc unknown
bermuda:/tmp/jeff-5> bash -version
GNU bash, version 2.05a.0(1)-release
(powerpc-hardhat-linux-gnu)