[RFC] Register sets

Folks (and especially Andrew),

A while back, Andrew submitted a patch that made it possible to read
Linux/i386 corefiles on Linux/x86-64.  He tricked me into fixing the
"gcore" command for this case, which forced me to think a bit more
about how we can solve this cleanly.  Here's what I think is the
solution.

Registers sets
--------------

In most hosted environments, the underlying OS devides the ISA's
registers in groups.  Typically there is a set of general-purpose
(which usually includes all integer register)s and a set of
floating-point registers.  That's one of the reasons why we have
reggroups in GDB.

Most OS'es define data structures for dealing with these groups of
registers:

 * Modern BSD's have `struct reg' and `struct fpreg'.

 * System V has `gregset_t' and `fpregset_t'.  Solaris (as an
   SVR4-derivative) has `prgregset_t' and `fpregset_t' and the
   provision for an `xregset'.

 * QNX has `procfs_greg', `procfs_fpreg' and `procfs_altreg'.

 * Linux is a bit messy, but tries to mimic SVR4/Solaris.

These data structures are used in several interfaces:

 * ptrace(2) (for systems that have PT_GETREGS/PTRACE_GETREGS and
   friends, e.g. modern BSD's and most Linuxen).

 * proc(4) filesystem (a.k.a. procfs on e.g. SVR4/Solaris and QNX).

 * libthread_db(3)/proc_service(3) debugging interface (on Solaris and
   Linux).

 * core(5) memory dumps (on ELF systems, but also in some cases,
   traditional a.out systems).

As a result, we use these data structures all over the place in GDB,
usually in ways that make it difficult to re-use code and/or
multi-arch things.  I'd like to introduce a more unified approach to
handling these data structures, which I propose to call register sets,
or regsets for short.  Basically a register set is just a block of
memory of a certain size.  We may want to put these register sets (or
a single register from them) into GDB's register cache.  We also need
to be able to grab these register sets (or a single register in them)
from the register cache.

It seems that we need a maximum of three of these sets.  I propose to
name these register sets as follows:

 * `gregset' for the general-purpose registers.

 * `fpregset' for the floating-point registers.

 * `xregset' for any "extra" registers.

For each register set we have to provide a function that takes apart
the register set and stores it in GDB's register cache, and a
functions that puts together a register set from GDB's register set.
For these functions I propose the functions:

void <prefix>_supply_<regset> (struct regcache *regcache,
                               const void *regs, int regnum);

for supplying register REGNUM from register set REGS into the cache
REGCACHE, and

void <prefix>_collect_<regset> (const struct regcache *regcache,
				void *regs, int regnum)

for collecting register REGNUM from the cache REGCACHE into register
set REGS.

If REGNUM is -1, these function operate on all registers within the set.

For each architecture we will have a structure that contains all
information about the register sets:

struct regset_info
{
  size_t sizeof_gregset;
  void (*supply_gregset)(struct regcache *, const void *, int);
  void (*collect_gregset)(const struct regcache *, void *, int);
  size_t sizeof_fpregset;
  void (*supply_fpregset)(struct regcache *, const void *, int);
  void (*collect_fpregset)(const struct regcache *, void *, int);
  size_t sizeof_xregset;
  void (*supply_xregset)(const struct regcache *, void *, int);
  void (*collect_xregset)(const struct regcache *, void *, int);
};

A pointer to this structure will be stored in the architecture vector,
such that we can use this from various places in GDB.

Thoughts?

Mark