From: Bob Rossi [mailto:bob@brasko.net]
Sent: Saturday, September 06, 2003 7:42 PM
To: Manoj Verma, Noida
Cc: gdb@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: Interface to GDB

On Sat, Sep 06, 2003 at 07:27:11PM +0530, Manoj Verma, Noida wrote:
> Hi,
> I have an IDE running on windows to which I want to attach the GDB
debugger
> support.
>
> I have configured the GDB server for the target "arm-linux".
> The GDB host is configured on MinGW-Msys environment on windows.
> The communication protocol used here is TCP/IP.
>
> The UI designing part is done, now I want to use GDB as the debugger in
the
> back end.
>
> My concern is how do I interface my IDE program with the GDB?
> Does GDB makes any standard interfaces available to the external world?
>
> Thanks & Regards,
> Manoj

Every popular front to GDB, that I know of, is a big hack. They
literally parse the output of the regular gdb commands. Some of them go
as far as to use annotations.

http://www.gnu.org/manual/gdb/html_chapter/gdb_21.html#SEC203

This was originally designed to allow Emacs to act as a front end to
GDB. Annotations is not the way to go. However, if your front end doesn't
use annotations, it probably will not support old GDB versions.

However, there is light. Some people working on GDB already designed a
new interface to GDB. Its called the machine interface.

http://www.gnu.org/manual/gdb/html_chapter/gdb_22.html#SEC216

This is a much better way to go. However, since its new, there may still
be bugs, and it will only work with newer GDB's.

Good Luck,
You will need it.

Bob Rossi