dbxread.c:1771: internal-error: sect_index_data not initialized

A colleague of mine has found this bug (which I will also make a bug report for). I'm really writing to this list because I'd like to help however I can to make gdb 6 suitable for us.

Currently in our development environtment all versions of gdb 5.0 and greater have show stopping bugs for us, and gdb 4 doesn't support gcc 3 (and we don't want to switch back to gcc 2).

We've frozen our compiler at gcc 3.2.3 as it seems stable and able to do everything we need. We'd like to freeze our debugger, but haven't been able to yet. Please help me help gdb by giving me guidance on what more I can do.

Before I file the bug report, look below and let me know what other information may be relevant. I'll try in the mean time to write a small program that still demonstrates the bug.

Thanks for all help,

Neal E. Coombes

Bug follows:

gdb 5.3.92 compiled with gcc 3.2.3 configured as i386-pc-solaris2.8
This bug only seems to occur with programs using gtkmm and gtkmm-2.0

GNU gdb 5.3.92
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB. Type "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "i386-pc-solaris2.8"...

(gdb)
(gdb) b main
Breakpoint 1 at 0x81c8315: file main.C, line 133.
(gdb) r
Starting program: /home/lex/HEAD/apps/strategyViewer/strategyViewer
dbxread.c:1771: internal-error: sect_index_data not initialized
A problem internal to GDB has been detected,
further debugging may prove unreliable.
Quit this debugging session? (y or n)