Re: Apple and gcc 2?

Jim Ingham wrote:

Michael,

On Sep 19, 2003, at 1:54 PM, Michael Elizabeth Chastain wrote:

(Obviously where I'm going with this is: figuring out when gdb
can drop support for gcc 2).

I can't really speak to this. I don't really know if/when we are going to drop support for compiling kext's with 2.95.

Apple's hacked GCC 2.95 is needed to build device drivers that will run on Mac OS X 10.1 and 10.0 systems. While probably there are few 10.0 systems out there, there may be several million 10.1 systems, and hardware makers that want to sell to those users will want a GCC 2 compiler. I can't predict when the demand will go away, but presumably at some point the devices' boxes will all say "10.2 or higher only" because the extra sales to 10.1 users won't pay for the necessary testing.

Stan