Re: about class LOC_COMPUTED_ARG

On Wed, Oct 01, 2003 at 03:35:43AM -0700, ankit thukral wrote:
> hi all,
>     this is about the address class of the symbols
> (arguments or local symbols) which is LOC_COMPUTED.for
> this class , the value of the symbol is calculated by
> calling some function called locexpr_read_variable()
> which is stored in as a function pointer as against
> the class LOC_BASEREG in which the location of the
> symbols is calculated using the "base register +
> offset" approach.
> while debugging a process,i noticed that the argument
> of some function had the address class LOC_BASEREG_ARG
> while the same had LOC_COMPUTED_ARG in an older
> version and newer version of GDB respectively.can
> anyone tell me the reason for this shift i noticed? is
> the class LOC_BASEREG_ARG becoming deprecated or is it
> sort of buggy?
>

> thanks in advance,

LOC_BASEREG_ARG was inadequate.  LOC_COMPUTED_ARG is a more powerful
mechanism, based on DWARF 2 location expressions.  Take a look at
http://www.eagercon.com/ if you want to find a copy of the
specification.

As I said in an earlier message, we don't have tracepoint support for
LOC_COMPUTED or LOC_COMPUTED_ARG - yet.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz