Re: Features vs infrastructure (was Re: Tracepoint support in Cygnus GDB ?)

> That's an interesting question.  Thinking about that, and comparing with
> GCC experience, I'd say that in general it's just extremely difficult to
> get infrastructural work accomplished in a small group or small company;
> you'd have to have a sufficiently large and/or well-funded group that
> the time taken by infrastructure does not affect the group's overall
> schedule.

Unfortunately, my own experience with large companies is that they have
very very very controlled budgets and that it's hard to explain to a
manager who only cares about functionality that such and such
infrastructure work is going to save some bucks later if the rework is
going to take more than, say, a few days.

In my opinion, unless you find a talented developper willing to invest
a lot of his own time, the right way to go is incremental improvements
via transition plans.

--
Joel