GDB --> Parallel Port --> Target??

Hello,

I was wondering how straightforward it would be to write an extension
for GDB to use the parallel port to connect to a target instead of the
serial port?  (Changing only a few files?  Many files?  Which ones?,
etc.)

Now I'm not really very familiar with GDB and before I jump in at the
deep end, I was wondering if any of you guys could give me any pointers?
At the moment I'm just having a read through the User Manual and the
Internals Manual and looking at some of the C files that look like they
might be of some help - can any of you guys point me in the right
direction?

Any help or advice you could offer would be much appreciated.

Andy