Re: target_op(..) -> target_op(target, ...) obvious

Andrew Cagney <ac131313@redhat.com> writes:

As part of the on-going OO of GDB, the "target vector" is one of the
next things up for treatment.  I'd like to be sure that everyones ok
with the mechanical transformatioin:

target_OP (...) -> taget_OP (target, ...)

being considered "fairly obvious" (post patch, give it a few days,
commit patch).  Pushing the target around is going to involve touching
files across maintenance boundraries.

So, in this patch, the calls would all pass a pointer to the global
variable 'current_target', right?  Or would it also include changes to
functions' interfaces to pass the target around explicitly?

"yes". Just like regcache, gdbarch, and frame, it would start out using current_gdbarch but then, over time evolve, to more correctly pass explicit parameters (be that frame, thread, regcache, or target).

Oh, "this patch" doesn't exist. The intent is for this, again just like the other changes, to be rolled out over comming months.

Oh, one motivation for me starting process is that it will let me parameterize CONVERT_FROM_FUNC_PTR_ADDR with an explicit target and that will in turn let me fix the entry-point problem you encountered with PPC64 GNU/Linux.

Andrew