Re: GDB --> Parallel Port --> Target??

On Wed, 2003-10-08 at 18:53, Jim Blandy wrote:
> > I may need to do some protocol conversion from the Remote Serial
> > Protocol to something else.
>
> What kind of agent do you have running on the system being debugged
> that will be speaking the protocol with GDB?

Er, I'm not wholly sure yet but I think the target is going to be an ARM
evaluator board with an RV-ICE.  This has its own protocol (RV-MSG) so
I'll need to write some sort of protocol converter for GDB.

> GDB's protocol looks really hairy, but there are actually only five or
> six operations you must implement --- the rest are optional.  Those
> are:
[.....]
> You can add more and get better behavior, more features, etc.  But the
> above are all you need for almost everything --- breakpoints,
> backtraces, expression evaluation, and so on.

Great - thanks for that.

> It's been implemented many times over, and some implementations are
> quite small and simple.  See the files called *-stub.c in the GDB
> source tree.  Some of them are out-of-date, and none of them are
> really tested or supported, but they'll give you the right idea.

Have I understood this correctly?  These stub files are mini-protocol
converters?  For the target or can they be adapted for my RV-ICE?

Thanks for your help.

Andy