What does sh8 "hms" target talk to?

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out what the "hms" target talks to but I'm
not getting very far.  According to the info file it talks to

  "A Hitachi SH, H8/300, or H8/500 board, attached via serial
   line to your host."

One presumes that's overly general, and there actually has to
be some specific chunk of SW running as a ROM monitor on the
board.  What, exactly, does the "hms" target expect to be
talking to?

 1) Current h8 eval boards ship with something called the "HDI"
    embedded monitor (or sometimes "HDI-M", which I gather is
    the same thing).  Will gdb talk to that?  (I'm guessing
    not.)

 2) If not, can one still get a monitor to which the hms target
    will talk?

 3) Is one better off just burning GDB stubs into flash?

 4) Or maybe RedBoot (which contains gdb stubs)?

The eval board I'm particularly interested in is US3068EDK1
containing (you guessed it) an H8/3068 uController.

[off to the eCos/RedBoot web site...]

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com