Re: What does sh8 "hms" target talk to?

On Thu, Oct 23, 2003 at 11:41:30AM -0700, Stan Shebs wrote:

>>What, exactly, does the "hms" target expect to be talking to?
>
> It's looking for a human-friendly monitor; "r" for registers, "g" to
> execute, etc; basically GDB acts as a fast typist. HMS is a couple
> generations back, so it's unlikely that the current monitor is
> sufficiently compatible.

I certainly get the impression it isn't, but I haven't found
it in writing yet.

> >1) Current h8 eval boards ship with something called the "HDI"
> >   embedded monitor (or sometimes "HDI-M", which I gather is
> >   the same thing).  Will gdb talk to that?  (I'm guessing
> >   not.)
>
> At least one person (found via Google) claims that the
> protocol is similar to GDB's remote protocol, so maybe "target
> remote" or "target extended-remote" will work.

When the board gets here, I'll give it a try, but I'm not
optimistic.

> Apparently HDI source is not available, which means you can't
> fix target problems that come up; I'd recommend replacing with
> your own stubs.

Yup. That's more-or-less the conclusion to which I had come.
Interestingly, the Windows-based debugger that comes with the
development board is comptatible with gcc object files.

Hitachi seems to have put some effort into supporting the gcc
toolchain -- to the point where they even provide a HOWTO web
page and a set of Gnupro tools. Both are somewhat out-of-date,
but you've got to give them credit for trying.

More current tools (and gdb-stubs) are availabe from
Kpit-Cummins at http://www.kpitgnutools.com/.  [Apparently no
relation to Cummins diesel.]

--
Grant Edwards