Re: Why does symfile.c use printf_filtered?

Jim Blandy wrote:
Jim Ingham <jingham@apple.com> writes:

These messages only show up when you set verbose on, so they don't
appear in the normal case.  Then I think you just get one dot per
shared library.

No, that's not right:

symfile.c:symbol_file_add_with_addrs_or_offsets:

  if ((objfile->flags & OBJF_MAPPED) && (objfile->flags & OBJF_SYMS))
  else
    {
      /* We either created a new mapped symbol table, mapped an existing
         symbol table file which has not had initial symbol reading
         performed, or need to read an unmapped symbol table. */
      if (from_tty || info_verbose)
	{
	  if (pre_add_symbol_hook)
	    pre_add_symbol_hook (name);
	  else
	    {
	      printf_filtered ("Reading symbols from %s...", name);
	      wrap_here ("");
	      gdb_flush (gdb_stdout);
	    }
	}
      syms_from_objfile (objfile, addrs, offsets, num_offsets,
                         mainline, from_tty);
    }

So it shows up when invoked from a command, too.  And I don't see any
"dot per shared library code" here --- perhaps that's a local mod.

Perhaps the best behavior would be for GDB to print a dot per shlib,
unless 'set verbose on' is on, in which case it should print the full
filename.

Jeff, how does that sound?  Is that more trouble than you wanted to
get into, or would you be willing to put together a patch for that?

I have already posted a patch that hasn't gotten any response yet. Perhaps, you can comment on that patch with this suggestion and I can look at combining the changes or else it can be done after my other patch is approved/denied.

-- Jeff J.