Re: A gdb+bfd string pool?

Oh, you meant an _instance_, not a data structure. Sorry.

More specifically, a single instance. Instead of having something like a per-object file symbol bcache as was done with GDB, there would just be a single global bcache (and it would never shrink).

elf-strtab has a property which I'm not sure you really need in GDB,
as it slow things down.  It attempts to do suffix merging, ie. if you have
p = "abcde" and q = "cde", r = "cde", s = "abcde" strings,
then p = "abcde", q = p + 2, r = q, s = p.  Storing strings in a hashtable
is certainly cheaper for CPU time than this.

As best I could tell, the suffix merging was being done as a separate pass so could be separated out?

Andrew