Re: gdb Digest 7 Nov 2003 16:00:26 -0000 Issue 1325

http://developer.apple.com/darwin/tools/cvs/howto.html

> But as I told Elena, we got behind in merging what
> with all we had to
> do for Panther, so I would hold off looking at this
> for another couple
> of weeks.  It will probably be clearer when Klee is
> done.
>

> > In addition can you provide a pointer or whatever
> > something that indicates that that code is not
> Apple
> > IP and does not contain any Apple or anyone else's
> IP?
> >

> Our blanket copyright assignment is on file with the
> FSF, and we
> release all our gdb changes publicly with the FSF
> copyright statements
> in place.  I think this is sufficient.

Sorry Jim -

I don't mean to be a pain but apparently it isn't.  I
have been working the copyright assignment issue with
our legal office and the FSF copyright team.  The FSF
position is that if I put in somebody else's code and
the FSF is sued over that code then I as the person
who put the code in am responsible for determining
that that code is OpenSource.  It does not matter that
I put the code in in good faith - I would be liable
for the FSF's legal costs and damages.

So if I use Apple code without a specific disclaimer I
can be held responsible personally.  The pointer that
you provided does provide pointers to the GPL, APSL,
and LGPL but it does not provide a statement that all
of the changes made to the code belong to Apple.

FSF - can I use the code without that statement?

                             Mark