Re: GDB interface with simulator

On Fri, Nov 14, 2003 at 09:07:17AM -0800, Doug Evans wrote:
> =?iso-8859-1?q?Rama=20Singh?= writes:
>  > I wish to use my simulator as an
>  > independent process running on the same machine or on
>  > other machine.
>
> Old versions of gdb had a file in gdb/gdbserver called low-sim.c.
> IIRC, one would use this file in gdbserver and would link gdbserver
> with libsim.a.  You would then run this program on the host
> you want to run your simulator on and use "target remote <simhost>:<port>"
> in gdb to talk to gdbserver+sim.
>
> Maybe you could grab that file from an old version of gdb (e.g. 5.3)
> and try to make it work with the version of gdb you have.
> [or maybe even just build gdbserver from 5.3 sources]
>
> I don't recall why support for gdbserver+sim has been removed.
> Maybe I'm mistaken and it's still there and I just can't see it.

Because there was no point.  The current simulators link directly into
GDB, and the simulator interface has changed since anyone tried to use
gdbserver that way.  The correct thing is to write a layer in your
simulator that serves the same purpose (speaks the remote protocol).
It's not too hard.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz