Interesting dwarf-2/shared lib problem.

When debugging an app with a shared lib I ran across the following problem.

After having proceeded to main(), all libs/syms are loaded, source search
directory set appropriately, etc.

Trying to use the following address form:

list display.c:10
-or-
break display.c:27

where display.c is in one of the loaded shared libraries, fails with "No
source file named display.c"

If I then do "break display", where display() is a function in display.c,
the above two addressing forms work fine.

I observed that libdisplay.so has been loaded with a psymtab and that the
code in lookup_symtab() only searches through objects which have a full
symtab loaded.  This would seem to be why it's not finding display.c.  I'm
supposing that when you do a break on a function, the full symtab is then
loaded.

Note also that this goes away if the source is compiled with the stabs+
debugging format.  I'm pondering the solution to this.  Is there a way to
force gdb to load the full symbol table for all shared objects?  Or is there
a better way to get around this?

cheers,

Kris