Re: flag day for Solaris portions of config.{guess,sub}

> I find that amazing to use hypothetical names in this discussion,
> it shows that you are running out of arguments :-)

It's called foresight.  Never suppose the worst will never happen :-)

> The (hypothetical) name would of course be *-sun-solarisg3.0 or something
> like that, I don't see any problem, so why create one ?

I see a problem: you would have to explicitly special-case *-sun-solaris10 in
your patterns.  And you would of course forget in some cases.

> This has lead in the past to other strangeness and confusion, the most
> obvious one being of course to name the pentium 'i586', and then continue
> with the i686, ...

Which is nice since you can use i?86.  I think config.sub can accept whatever
fancy names you want, but config.guess should make it easy to parse its
output.

--
Eric Botcazou