Re: 32-bit gcore on amd64

   Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 16:06:51 -0500
   From: Andrew Cagney <cagney@gnu.org>

   > Well, it can determine the target from ABFD.  It certainly can make
   > the distinction between a 32-bit and a 64-bit BFD.  However, some
   > targets, most notably ELF, are shared by various OSes.

   So in theory.  Wonder if this is something better handled directly by
   GDB - who, other than gdb wants to create corefiles?

Why shouldn't objdump be able to write a core file?

;-)

But seriously, yes I think we should let GDB handle the gory details.
BFD should only provide the basic, generic functionality.  For ELF
this means we'd keep the generic functionality to write core file
notes (i.e. elfcore_write_note()) in BFD, but move the functions that
create the OS-specific data structure inside those notes
(i.e. elfcore_write_prpsinfo() and elfcore_write_prstatus()) into GDB.

Mark