Is there a preference file for gdb?

I tried going through the gdb manual before I asked this... but couldn't
find any info on it.

Is there a preference file for gdb that can be used to set default settings?
Like a .gdbrc or something? I remeber on the Sun pro compilter I could have
a .dbxrc file and have it modify my prompt and surpress the startup info
message.

Basically what I want to get for now is have -silent, happen by default.

Cheers
-grant