Re: Retire the MPW support from toplevel and binutils

Andrew Cagney <cagney@gnu.org> writes:

> > I'm sure you already knew this, but you'll need to update the cvs modules for the repository at the same time you're doing this - these files are explicitly named in there:
> > src-support  -a src/.cvsignore src/COPYING src/COPYING.LIB
> > src/COPYING.NEWLIB
> >              src/COPYING.LIBGLOSS src/ChangeLog src/MAINTAINERS
> >              src/Makefile.def src/Makefile.in src/Makefile.tpl src/README
> >              src/README-maintainer-mode src/config src/config-ml.in
> >              src/config.guess src/config.if src/config.sub src/configure
> >              src/configure.in src/contrib src/etc src/gettext.m4 src/install-sh
> >              src/libtool.m4 src/ltcf-c.sh src/ltcf-cxx.sh src/ltcf-gcj.sh
> >              src/ltconfig src/ltmain.sh src/makefile.vms src/missing src/mkdep
> >              src/mkinstalldirs src/move-if-change src/mpw-README
> >              src/mpw-build.in src/mpw-config.in src/mpw-configure
> >              src/mpw-install src/setup.com src/src-release src/symlink-tree
> >              src/ylwrap
>
> Er, the modules file should _not_ be updated.  You can always add, but
> never remove entries.

If leaving the files in there doesn't cause any errors or warnings
when doing a checkout, then I agree that the modules file should not
be changed.

However, if we do get errors or warnings, then I'm afraid that we must
change it, even though it is clearly the wrong thing to do from a
version control standpoint.  The modules file in general is a bug in
CVS, not a feature.  It might be possible to implement the idea
properly, but the CVS implementation is clearly broken.

Ian