compatible versions of gdb6.1 and binutils?

Hey,

I am working on integrating a simulator for a custom sparc into gdb6.1.
I would like to have the source for gdb and binutils in the same source tree
but from what I can tell there is no evidence of any kind of common tags
across these projects that would indicate how best to merge them.  Is there
any kind of common baseline for the shared components (bfd,opcodes,etc) that
I should be aiming for? or is my only option to grab what I can tagged at
the gdb6.1 release and merge in some appropriate binutils directories and
hope to get them to build?

My motivation is to avoid replication of the shared components and to be
able to easily sync my copies with newer releases should it become
necessary.

Any help would be much appreciated,
Marcus