Re: Post GDB 6.2, require new frame code

The new frame infrastructure is dwarf2 based if I understand that correctly. Does that mean that all stabs support will go away after 6.2?

(I'm using gdb to debug Sun C compiled programs on Solaris/SPARC. The current version Sun C 5.5 can output dwarf2 but the default still is stabs and it seems they just have started the transition to dwarf2).

Michael

Andrew Cagney wrote:
GDB's new frame infrastructure was introduced more than a year ago
(dwarf2-frame added May '03) and then included in the 6.0 and 6.1
releases.  Since that introduction, we've seen:

    alpha ARM AVR CRIS d10v FRV
    PA-RISC i386 ia64 m32r m68hcll
    m68k m88k mips ppc s390 sh4
    sparc vax

all updated to this new framework.  Unfortunately, though, we're still
left with a few architectures relying on the old framework.

We're now faced with the problem of what to do with the remaining
architectures.  The choices I see are:

- continue to support the legacy framework

- convert the remaining architectures

- phase out the remaining architectures

So as to avoid the problem of this dragging on indefinitely, we need to
establish a clear schedule by which all architectures are expected to
have been updated.  To that end:

- make GDB 6.2 the last release to support the legacy frame code

- in 6.2 NEWS, list unconverted architectures as about to be obsoleted

- Post 6.2 release, obsolete any remaining architectures

comments,
Andrew