Re: Using GDB to debug ia64 files

At 10:46 AM 6/28/2004, you wrote:
>Hi people of Cygwin & GDB,
>
>I'm trying to do some quite complicated debug stuff with Cygwin, and can't
>find how to do it. Would someone know how to help me ?
>Here is the problem :
>
>I have a BIOS compiled with the VC++ compiler for ia64. This BIOS is EFI
>(www.intel.com/technology/efi/) based.
>The BIOS is compiled under Windows, and it's a mandatory because some tools
>I'm using have not been ported to Linux.
>The BIOS is compiled in debug mode, thus generating Windows paths to the
>debug files (PDB format) in the image.
>
>I've written a GDB stub in my BIOS. What I wish is to use GDB on Cygwin to
>communicate with this stub and debug my BIOS.
>What I don't know is :
> - does GDB support COFF format and PDB format ? I guess the first is "yes",
>and I read a thread on this archive about PDB format. I'm not sure GDB does
>understand it, but then I would add the PDB support to GDB. Does someone
>have doc about it (if the rest of the stuff is possible, of course), and
>know how long a process this can be ?
>
> - supposing I have GDB understanding both PDB and COFF format (or if I can
>make VC generate a debug file format that GDb can understand), will I be
>able to use it to debug my BIOS ? Or will GDB/Cygwin crash because if the
>Windows Paths ?
>
> - does GDB/Cygwin have a goog ia64 support ? I think GDB/Linux has been
>ported to ia64. Has this port been done to GDB/Cygwin ? If not, would it be
>long to transcript it from GDB/Linux to GDB/Cygwin ?

Cygwin itself has not yet been ported to ia64.  It may work in Win32
emulation mode (there have been successful reports of this IIRC) but
that won't get you where you want to go.  In any case, it's not clear
that adding Cygwin into this equation is helpful to you.  If you're
building with VC++ and cannot or won't use VC++ to debug for some reason,
you may as well focus on the vanilla Windows version of gdb, unless you
find a benefit to using the Cygwin version.  In this light, this is a
pure gdb issue.

Holliston, MA 01746