Re: [6.2] PROBLEMS file

> Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 18:05:34 -0400
> From: Andrew Cagney <cagney@gnu.org>
>
> > So IMHO there is no regression here.  PR 1505 should be closed.  If
> > the length of the backtraces is a problem, we should probably set a
> > sensible backtrace limit.
>
> Try and convince a user of that :-)  This is, right or wrong, a
> situtation where we're the ones that get to push for a solution.

I tend to agree.

> To that end, two ideas:
>
> - add a GNU extension to dwarf2 that identifies the frame as outer-most
>
> - have the CFI unwinds back to the exact same identical frame (causing
> GDB to throw up its hands)

This wouldn't help the DJGPP port of Emacs: it is compiled with
"-gcoff" (because no one has written code to support unexec with
DWARF2 debug info embedded in a COFF binary).

It would be much more helpful if someone could documente the inner
workings of the frame-unwinding code, including all its different
strategies, in gdbint.texinfo.  Perhaps then I could debug the problem
and at least understand what is causing it; I'm not at all sure it's
the function prologue/epilogue issue.

TIA