Re: interface to partial support for DW_OP_piece in dwarf2expr.[ch]

> From: Jim Blandy <jimb@redhat.com>
> Date: 05 Aug 2004 09:28:21 -0500
>
> We know the cases supported by the arch-independent code will be a
> superset of the cases supported by the arch-dependent reducer.  The
> latter can only support cases that can be reduced to our current
> 'struct value', and the arch-independent implementation will extend
> that.
>
> Again, I don't see any need for GDB to be broken until the larger
> project is complete.  GDB is broken for targets today that could use
> this reduction method.

I tend to agree with Jim.  Here's another data point: the x86 support
for hardware watchpoints.  It was initially added to go32-nat.c for
the DJGPP port, and only later generalized to cover any i386 target.
(Of course, the initial code was committed without asking anyone,
since the DJGPP target was my responsibility ;-)  When the general x86
code was approved and committed, the DJGPP-specific code was deleted.