Re: cannot subscript something of type <data variable, no debug info>

Well, this gets odder and odder... I'm enclosing the newly-built binary,
compiled exactly as you specified.  I'm also enclosing the screen dump from
the build, you can see my build command at the top...

But, when I run 'objdump tester -g', it says:

$ objdump tester -g

tester:     file format elf32-i386

objdump: tester: no recognized debugging information

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I tried -ggdb, and it says the same thing... clearly, something's wrong with
my system, or at least with my compiler installation...

hmmm... 'nm' *does* show some symbol info, including an entry for 'Mod', tho
it doesn't recognize it as an array, and it doesn't say anything about a
struct.  I'm not sure what that tells me, if anything...

It looks like I have the "expert" mode compiler installed, which doesn't
allow debugging, on the theory that *real* linux programmers don't need
crutches like that!!!  8-{P

Do you have any other insights on this??

In the meantime, I'm going to go ahead and take your suggestion to install
3.3.4 and see what comes out of that...

(BTW, is there any reason why you suggested 3.3.4 rather than 3.4.1, which
is current??  Is it not yet stable?)

I thank you VERY much for all the effort your providing on this problem!!

    Dan Miller