Re: Problem building GDB on Power64

PS: I'm not asking for someone to post patches to configure.in or what ever, (hinting maybe), but I am asking for some pointers on where to look.

This would be very tricky to do. GDB links to libraries built in the
same tree, so nothing in gdb/configure.in would work. It would have to
be in the top level, which is shared with binutils and gcc and so on. You don't want them to default to being 64-bit apps, because they
should obey the system policy of defaulting to 32-bit.

I really think this is your responsibility when building GDB if you
want it to support 64-bit binaries.

Exactly.

GDB's build behavior is determined by policies set by autotools, config and <top-level>. GDB isn't in a position to vary this locally. Perhaphs the thing to do is rase this on GCC (where I'd guess the <top-level> aspect should be discussed).

BTW, I did once ask to the config maintainer (BJE@ibm) if config.guess could look at the compiler. That way, instead of:
$ CC='cc -m64' config.guess
powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu
it would return:
$ CC='cc -m64' config.guess
powerpc64-unknown-linux-gnu
and that in turn would let us specify:
$ CC='cc -m64' .../configure
Ben didn't agree (I don't remember why).

Andrew