Re: breakpoint instruction isn't shown in disassemble or examine (x) commands?

"debug target" should show you all the reads & writes to a simulator. If you are connecting to the target with gdb's remote protocol, you can also use

(gdb) set debug remote on

to watch the gdb remote protocol communications.

(gdb) help set debug

to see what sorts of debugging options are available for your gdb.

Jim