Re: GDB/MI snapshots between major release's

On Mon, Oct 04, 2004 at 09:04:55AM -0700, Felix Lee wrote:
> Bob Rossi <bob@brasko.net>:
> > I don't know what you are talking about here. Can you see that I'm
> > interested in having a new front end start any GDB with it's newest MI
> > protocol?
>
> why isn't that possible now?  what situation makes it difficult
> to do that?

My original posting has the problem that I am confronting,

   How should front end developers deal with snapshots of GDB, that are
   taken between major versions of GDB. Several distributions
   do this and I don't think most front end's would be capable of dealing
   with a GDB in this state. In this state, GDB says it is MI3 but outputs commands
   in the MI4 style (because version hasn't been bumped yet) or vice versa.
   Does this even happen?

With the information I have now, here is the problem. A snapshot of GDB
will say that it is at MI4, although, it is really at some
developmental version. So, I need to get from GDB that MI4 is not an
official protocol, and that I should be using MI3 to communicate with
it. This seems to be the only problem.

This is why I am suggesting the new command line switch, which according
to the case above, would produce,

gdb --mi-protocols
mi1
mi2
mi3

However, Eli suggested making an MI command that does this, that is
still up for debate I guess.

Thanks,
Bob Rossi