RE: probing GDB for MI versions

  False inference.

> Will someone explain to me how they expect to write a parser
> capable of
> getting some information out of MI2, but prove to me that it will work
> with MI100.

  Simple.

  Any time anyone proposes changing the output format of the -mi-version
command, or removing it, we'll just say no.  Fr'ex:

  The -mi-version command will ALWAYS AND FOREVER output a string of the
format

"Highest supported MI version is XXXX"

where XXXX is an ASCII decimal integer.  Any program can then read the
output from an invocation of gdb and simply discard everything up until it
finds that string, then parse the integer out.

    cheers,
      DaveK