Re: Bumping MI protocol

On Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 11:54:07AM -0700, Felix Lee wrote:
> Bob Rossi <bob@brasko.net>:
> > Yes yes, you want to see me write one large parser that handles
> > everything and anything thrown at it, including the english language.
>
> no, of course not, that's silly.  I keep trying to figure out why
> we keep talking past each other.  at the moment, my best guess is
> you're assuming that "MI version changes" is something that you
> have no control over, while I'm assuming that you can easily have
> a direct influence on "MI version changes".  I think the latter
> is more true than the former.  have you worked with other free
> software projects before?

No, I have not. GDB is the first project I am working with. I find the
MI protocol exciting in the sense that a good front end can finally be
written. However, I have a good amount of experience with parsers and
proprietary software.

I am assuming that the MI output syntax will change. I expect it to. We
will need things in the future we do not know we need yet.

My real problem is adding an MI command to the MI function set that
can not be used by an MI parser. I very much dislike writing ad hoc
parsers. If the problem can be solved another way, I would be much
happier. If it can't, I will have to live with what is here.

Bob Rossi