Re: Bumping MI protocol

Bob Rossi <bob@brasko.net>:
> I am assuming that the MI output syntax will change. I expect it to. We
> will need things in the future we do not know we need yet.

sure.  and when that time comes you can help decide whether to
make the change in a way that's compatible with existing
front-ends, or bump the version to indicate an incompatibility.
if it's a nontrivial incompatibility, you can argue for calling
it something other than MI, to avoid confusing a front-end that
assumes all versions of MI have basically the same flavor.  or
you can argue for whatever seems best for the world at the time
of that hypothetical future.

there's not much point in spending a lot of effort guarding
against unlikely futures when you have a lot of influence over
the future.  the only thing unmovable is the past, and that's
already well-defined because the source code to every past
version of gdb is freely available.