Re: probing GDB for MI versions

'Bob Rossi' <bob@brasko.net>:
> I understand that adding an MI command to the MI function set that can
> not be accessed by a front end that understands the MI protocol is
> nonsensical and confusing, that is why I am arguing on the side of not
> adding this command to the MI function set, but solving the problem
> another way.

... I'm lost.  if I apply your statement to a different context,
you seem to be saying that gdb's "show version" command is a
nonsensical and confusing way of determining what version gdb is,
and there should be an out-of-band method of determining gdb
version.

this seems to me obviously wrong, because there are many
situations where you're limited to serial communication with a
remote agent, so it isn't possible to get out-of-band
information.

that situation is unlikely to happen with gdb itself, since in
any sane situation you're going to be able to invoke gdb with
arbitrary command switches.  but that's unusual rather than
typical.  most communication protocols need an in-band method of
determining protocol version.

it's not clear to me what assumptions you're making that lead you
to dramatically different conclusions about what's "obvious".