Can't talk to Angel debug monitor from arm-elf-gdb

Hi,

I've got an ATMEL EB40A ARM evaluation board that has ARM Angel 1.04
running in the flash, and I can talk to this fine from the
ARM-supplied AXD debugger. But I can't talk to it from arm-elf-gdb (I
have v.6.1, compiled by macgraigor.com) which is running under cygwin
on Windows 2000. arm-elf-gdb works just fine with the simulator
target.

I start up arm-elf-gdb, then do

set remotebaud 9600
target rdi com1

The second command just hangs, I can see LEDs flashing to indicate
that data is passing back and forth, but no response in gdb.

Any ideas?

- Dave