Re: gdbserver vs. gdbstub

On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 03:26:39PM +0100, Buday Gergely wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I have read Chapter 17 of the gdb manual that describes the usage of
> gdbserver and gdbstub. One thing was not clear: when to choose one over
> the other? I have a guess that one only need gdbstub when there's no
> operating system on the target machine or there are memory limitations
> that do not enable using the larger gdbserver. Am I right?

"gdb stub" is a generic term.  GDB provides several low-level stubs,
which are basically just sample implementations; and gdbserver is
itself a "stub".  It happens to be a stub that runs in user context
on Linux systems (with potential ports to other OSs that haven't been
done yet - a Windows port was contributed, but hasn't been integrated
yet - needs more cleanup).

Another user mode stub for Linux is Red Hat's RDA, and one
non-user-mode stub for Linux is kgdb.  And then there are boot monitors
like redboot which can also serve as stubs.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery, LLC