Re: MI starting guide

> Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 19:04:37 -0500
> From: Bob Rossi <bob@brasko.net>
> Cc: gdb@sources.redhat.com
>
> There is no user document that I know of that describes how to write an
> FE on top of GDB using the MI interface besides the manual.

Sad, but true.

Actually, the MI documentation in the manual was once a separate
manual which was not compiled into gdb.info.  I did some minimal work
to integrate it into gdb.texinfo (because I believe that some
documentation is better than no documentation), but I won't pretend
that the result is in good shape, and I don't know enough about MI to
improve those parts of the manual in useful ways.

> AFAIK, FE's use fork/exec with GDB and communicate with it over a pipe
> like you suggested. Beware, some of the MI commands that the manual says
> are there are unimplemented.
>
> If you want to see some interaction between GDB and another process look
> at the gdb.mi testsuite.

I'm urging people who work with the MI interface, such as Nick and
Bob, to please contribute additions to the manual (either gdb.texinfo
or gdbint.texinfo) that describe what you found out during your work
that you wish has been there to begin with.  There is no better source
of useful information than those who actually need it to do some job.

If you are unsure how or where best to describe what you think is
important, don't hesitate to post your thoughts here and start a
discussion.

TIA