Re: A case for `void *' for pointers to arbitrary (byte) buffers

On Wed, May 04, 2005 at 12:06:26AM +0200, Mark Kettenis wrote:
>    >    If you want to use a standard type, play the necessary autoconf games
>    >    to acquire stdint.h.  Use uint8_t *.
>    >
>    > That's an interesting suggestion.  It might take a few iterations to
>    > get that right though.
>
>    I'm willing to do the work.
>
> OK great!  I really like being able to use those (u)intN_t types, and
> especially (u)intptr_t.  You can probably steal the autoconf checks
> from GNU coreutils.  Those will have been pretty well tested I sppose.
> But the base sequence should something like:
>
> #ifdef HAVE_STDINT_H
> #include <stdint.h>
> #else
> # ifdef HAVE_INTTYPES_H
> # include <inttypes.h>
> # else
> typedef unsigned char uint8_t;
> # endif
> #endif

To be honest, my preference is still for gdb_byte * over uint8_t *, for
exactly the reason Stan just mentioned: consistency.  Whether that's
defined as unsigned char or uint8_t is less important to me.

Does gdb_byte, defined in terms of uint8_t, work for you?

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery, LLC