Re: Available registers as a target property

> Date: Fri, 06 May 2005 20:55:59 -0400
> From: Paul Schlie <schlie@comcast.net>
> CC: <gdb@sourceware.org>
>
> it seems more consistent to enable GDB to select which of N register
> models to assume based upon the target's identification, than
> requiring the target to supply a detailed description of it's own
> register model; thereby not requiring any otherwise unnecessary
> complexity be added to the target's GDB server implementation?

I disagree: the target specifics should be localized to the target,
they should not invade the application-level GDB sources.

Apart of the purity of design issue, keeping target specifics in the
target code is also more practical: GDB maintenance tends to have
target experts responsible for the target-specific source files, while
the GDB higher-level parts are maintained by people who know less
about specific target features.

So I agree with Daniel: this knowledge should not be pushed into
higher GDB levels.