Re: no stack trace with 2.6.11 and gdb 6.3

Daniel Jacobowitz writes:
In a message dated: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 15:37:21 EDT
> On Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 02:20:58PM -0500, Rich Coe wrote:
> > Yes, after I manually run
> >     'add-symbol-file-from-memory 0xffffe000'
> > I can get a valid traceback.
> >
> > Why doesn't this just work like gdb-6.0 on 2.6.7 ?
>
> Your GDB 6.0 was also patched by Red Hat; again, you would have to ask
> them.

    In this regard, you are shallow.  I think every developer has a
    certain expectation that when they type backtrace, that the debugger
    accurately display the data.  I was merely referencing a previously
    release where it works, and now it doesn't.

    There is an obvious difference that this is not working.
    I'm all for working towards a solution and I don't think you taking pot
    shots at Redhat is working toward that end.  If you have a beef with
    Redhat, I could care less.  If you are saying or implying that this is
    broken only in a Redhat kernel, then please be less obtuse, because
    I'll gladly track this problem down wherever it may lead.

> > Why does this command run automatically when debugging with gdb from the
> > command line but when attaching to an already running process ?
>
> Because it's different code that detects the new program.

    So it seems that you are well aware of this problem.
    Are you recommending that the add-symbol-file-from-memory as the
    current solution ?

    I've downloaded the current cvs and faced the same problem.
    So it seems that a half-solution to this problem which was discovered
    and fixed in February, is not even in the current CVS.

    If need me to enter it into bugzilla, I'm happy to do that.
    Just let me know where.

    I researched this problem before posting my findings here.
    I'm just looking for developing the correct solution.

    Thanks.

--
Rich Coe		richard.coe@med.ge.com
General Electric Medical Systems